Believe it or not, Kingdom Hearts is over 20 years old, having first been launched on the PlayStation 2 in 2002. By announcing the Kingdom Hearts 20th Anniversary celebration early, Square Enix is getting fans ready for the big day.
Kingdom Hearts, the unexpected mix of Disney and Final Fantasy, has remained one of the most successful series in gaming to this day. Although the series took a new route following Kingdom Hearts 2, with subsequent games releasing mostly on handheld devices, forcing fans to wait 14 years for Kingdom Hearts 3, the series is still popular for its characters, entertaining gameplay, and ambitious story. The story centers on a young boy named Sora, who has whisked away from his home, discovers the mystical Keyblade and befriends Disney legends Donald and Goofy. Sora has been designated as the final Super Smash Bros. Ultimate combatant.
What is KINGDOM HEARTS?
Combine some of the FINAL FANTASY’s most known faces with some of the most beloved Disney and Pixar characters to take a really epic narrative filled with twists and turns. That would be KINGDOM HEARTS.
Sora normally heads up the series (although on occasion, other heroes take the stage) – a young man who has the power to manipulate a mystical sword called a Keyblade.
He travels across numerous Disney and Pixar worlds with the help of his companions, including Donald and Goofy, to guard them against the Heartless – dangerous creatures formed from the darkness in people’s hearts.
The games range from action RPGs to card battle games, but they all share one trait:
- Endearing characters.
- Amazing stories.
- Incredible music by the legendary Yoko Shimomura.
- The ultimate message is that friendship is our greatest power.
Which KINGDOM HEARTS are coming to Switch?
Ten KINGDOM HEARTS experiences are coming to Nintendo Switch in three separate cloud releases: CLOUD VERSIONS OF KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX, KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue, and KINGDOM HEARTS III + Re Mind (DLC).
The ‘all-in-one’ cloud version collection will allow you to purchase all games at once. A masterpiece for Cloud-based on “Kingdom Hearts.”
The first collection includes the following:
- KINGDOM HEARTS FINAL MIX – The action RPG introduced gamers to Sora and the realms of KINGDOM HEARTS for the first time. It now has restored HD images, improved controls, a new soundtrack, and more!
- KINGDOM HEARTS Re:Chain of Memories – Following the first game’s events, Sora, Donald, and Goofy find themselves in the enigmatic Castle Oblivion, embarking on a quest that threatens one of their most valuable things – their memories. This game added a novel card battle system to the series’ classic action RPG gameplay, making it one of the unique titles in the series.
- KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 Days (HD Remastered Cinematics) – This plot is around Roxas, a young guy who has a special bond with Sora. This version includes cinematics from the original game that has been updated with extra text and remastered in HD.
- KINGDOM HEARTS II FINAL MIX – Sora, Donald, and Goofy reunite in an epic action RPG adventure that transports them to some of Disney’s most iconic – and unexpected – realms.
KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue CLOUD VERSION
- KINGDOM HEARTS Dream Drop Distance HD – Sora and his best friend Riku take their Mark of Mastery tests to become true key blade wielders. It doesn’t… go as planned.
- KINGDOM HEARTS 0.2 Birth by Sleep -A fragmentary passage- This beautifully bite-sized action RPG places you in the sharp shoes of Aqua, who made her debut in KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep. It’s a must-play because the game’s events directly lead into KINGDOM HEARTS III.
- KINGDOM HEARTS χ Back Cover (movie) – This fascinating film transports you back in time to recount the story of the Foretellers.
KINGDOM HEARTS III + Re Mind (DLC) CLOUD VERSION
The third collection includes the following:
In this stunning adventure that transports Sora, Donald, and Goofy to entirely new Disney and Pixar worlds, Sora’s war against the forces of Darkness reaches a spectacular climax. They’ll go on an adventure with Buzz and Woody at a toy store, work with Rapunzel to unravel a diabolical scheme, and more with Sully and Mike Wazowski to show the forces of evil the way out.
The Switch version also includes the Re Mind DLC, which adds additional story content, new boss bouts, and a slew of other features.
A few more things…
We have a few last KINGDOM HEARTS announcements to make – first and foremost, the final story chapter for the mobile app KINGDOM HEARTS DARK ROAD will be released this winter. Additionally, the entirety of the KINGDOM HEARTS Union χ [Cross] story is available for players to relive or experience for the first time – all through a convenient theatre mode.
More than 10 million players worldwide have downloaded the KINGDOM HEARTS U Dark Road app to date, so there are many you looking forward to the completion of this prequel story. Rest assured – it is coming, and it will be fantastic.