Tonight on Bar Rescue, Jon Taffer and his team are in Phoenix, Arizona, working to save the George & Dragon English Pub and Restaurant. After his mother died, Dave, the bar’s owner, allegedly let things go downhill. There are rumors that he has been running the bar for over two decades while blowing all of his profits on drinks and weekly poker tournaments. Bar Rescue estimates that the establishment owes $700,00 and is losing $5,000 per month.
Is George and Dragon still open?
Yes, it’s “Open”
- Episode Title: “How to Train the Dragon”
- Episode No.: Season 4 Episode 50 (Season 4 5th Set Episode 6)
- Episode Air Date: April 24, 2016.
- Episode Was Filmed: January 2016.
- The Bar’s Original Name Was: George and Dragon.
- The Bar’s New Name: George and Dragon.
- George and Dragon Address: 4240 N Central Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85012, United States.
If you’re reading this, then I succeeded! Keep reading see what happens to George and Dragon.
Jon recons the bar with expert mixologist Phil Wills and talented chef Gavan Murphy. They note the exterior of the bar is in disrepair. Jon has asked some locals to test the service at the bar.
The interior of the pub is old, dated, and the bar is falling apart. Kat and Jen are bartenders, and they do not smile much for customers. John is a local radio personality, and Jill is a comedienne. Tony serves them, and they order a special and a gin and tonic.
Jen pours about four different vodkas in a cocktail, so it is too strong. The food is too heavy, and Jill cannot eat it. Jon is fed up and confronts David, but he gets into action and joins his staff in cleaning the kitchen.
For the stress test, they have three colored chips for anything that goes wrong, and these are to be put into a container. There is a red chip for lousy service, a yellow chip for food errors, and a green chip for a poorly made drink.
David promises to stop playing poker and drinking in the bar and make it work for their mother. The exterior has been brightened up and made warmer with the Wimberley crest on the walls. There are new furnishings from East Coast Chair and Barstool, there are 150 seats, and it is still cozy and warm.
On relaunch, the bar is doing better, with Kat having improved the most. She is making drinks accurately and interacting with guests well. The food from the kitchen is excellent, and the customers love it.
Recent Customer Reviews after the Bar Rescue Episode:
George and Dragon Google Review
- “Halo burger is where it’s at, and it’s where you keep it. Their pool setup was great and the atmosphere was phenomenal. Not to crowded on Sunday nights. Will definitely return.”
- “The hot wings are amazing, the sauce is such a unique flavor it’s a great level of spice that doesn’t stay for to long. I also ordered the halo burger, OMG the burger was so juicy and the ring of cheese around to make the halo was perfect.”
- There aren’t many negative reviews available online.
Google Ratings 4.4/5
George and Dragon Yelp Review
- “Quick stop in for lunch and again i was beyond impressed by the hospitality. My waitress Leah was an absolute gem and took extra care of my pup and i on the patio… even brought her a little treat. Will be back for sure !”
- “Great place for a beer and a taste of England love this place the sausage and mash are amazing and so is the cheese and onion pasty”
- “I ordered the potato skins and they tasted a bit off, but I didn’t realize why untll 3/4 of it was eaten. Instead of potato “skins'” I received bake potatoes cut in half with some cheese and a little a sprinkling of bacon on top. I spoke with the waitress (Kara) and she said she would replace the skins with something else, but then she called the manager (James) and he told me he couldn’t do anything about my bad meal.”
Yelp Ratings 3.5/5
My Review on George and Dragon 🤔
Good meals and a wide assortment of beverages. This restaurant has a great vibe – it’s a pleasant, cosy pub.
What Happened Next at George and Dragon
- Jon Taffer decided to keep the bar’s name of George & Dragon.
- The business is still growing six weeks later, with a 50% rise in sales.
- David is kept busy and comes in every day for lunch and dinner, just like he did when they first opened.
- The doors to George and Dragon are now open.
- The episode received largely excellent feedback, with the food earning outstanding reviews.
After the Bar Rescue makeover, the bar was able to preserve its last name, which is likely what the owner desired as it appears that he was searching for a renovation. Since the Bar Rescue renovation, the reviews have been mostly favorable, with many praising the environment and food, but there have also been some complaints about the service.