Tonight, episode of bar rescue Jon Taffer and crew are in Chalmette, LA to rescue a bar that has gone downhill recently. Owner Desi had a stroke which caused him absence from running the business, but now he is back at work with limitations on what he can do because of his health condition. Jon believes this could be an opportunity for someone else who would run things much better than himself or family members.
Is Sam Jordan’s still open?
Yes, it’s “Open”
- Episode Title: “Desi, You Got Some ‘Splainin’ To Do”
- Episode No.: Season5 Episode 20 (Season 5 2nd Set Episode 6)
- Episode Air Date: April 2, 2017
- Episode Was Filmed: September/October 2016.
- The Bar’s Original Name Was: Desi Romano’s Sports Bar and Grill
- The Bar’s New Name: Desi Romano’s Sports Bar and Grill
- Desi Romano’s Sports Bar and Grill Address: 3809 Paris Rd, Chalmette, LA 70043, United States
If you’re reading this, then I succeeded! Keep reading see what happens to Desi Romano’s Sports Bar and Grill.
Desi Romano’s is owned by Desi Romano, who has been in the bar business for over 25 years. Lindsey is his daughter and manager and Bethany is his niece and head cook. Things were great in the beginning till Desi had a stroke. Desi is hands off for health reasons and the staff does as they please and has open tabs.
Jon recons the bar with expert mixologist Derrick Turner and expert chef Tiffany Derry. Desi Romano is in debt of $150,000 and does not know how much he is losing monthly. There are three bartenders and they are smoking and drinking while on shift. They see the bartender make mixing errors and then deliver another round once again to the owner. The pair like neither of the drinks they are served and order mac and cheese that is sloppily presented.
Desi is so drunk he cannot tell Jon is behind him and is shocked. Desi insists they should start the next day. Jon threatens to walk out till Desi asks him to stay, chasing after him. Lindsey and Bethany promise to help get him in line.
The next day, Jon introduces his experts to the bar staff. They give feedback on the lack of direction in the kitchen and smoking behind the bar. Bethany has the most bar tabs, with $2000 and $3890. Desi is given the role of greeting people and will be more visible as manager. Jon shuts it down after the kitchen ticket times hit thirty minutes and too many bad mixed drinks are made. The bar is renovated overnight and is revealed to the staff at sunset on relaunch.
On relaunch, Desi is sober and is looking like an owner, dressed in a suit. The bartenders start confidently making drinks two to three at a time. In the kitchen, Bethany is giving direction and they are functioning properly. Brad and Steve love the food and drinks and are especially happy the first drinks were not in the house.
Desi Romano’s Sports Bar and Grill Google Review
- “I love going to Desi’s, the bartenders are always fun! This place reminds me of Cheers, the show. Photo shown was of the Oysters sampler but I pretty much love everything on the menu!”
- “They are so nice and polite. They food is great. The place stay clean. The bar tenders are always attentive to their quest. Great place. I promise.”
- “I Was there for 2 hours…. no refills at all. Burger was wrong I told waitress “don’t worry about the burger can I just get a refill” she looked me dead in my face and said ok… never got it. No tip and wont be going back. Brewsters it is next time.”
Google Ratings 4.5/5
Desi Romano’s Sports Bar and Grill Yelp Review
- “Great spot to stop for lunch, dinner or just a drink with friends. We’ve been twice now and tried the burgers, chicken bites and wraps and all were delicious! The service is always great too. We’ll definitely be back.”
- “The waffle fry’s with gravy and beef tips are the best! The hamburger steak was delicious, and the spaghetti. I would eat here for lunch most days when I was working down there. I ordered quite a bit and was never disappointed. The food is so good it’s a must try if you are in the area!”
- not such negative comments yet!
Yelp Ratings 4/5
My Review on Desi Romano’s Sports Bar and Grill 🤔
AWESOME food great wait staff always a pleasure to eat here great food selection as well as drink selection.
What Happened Next at Desi Romano’s Sports Bar and Grill
- Jon Taffer kept the name Desi Romano’s Sports Bar and Grill.
- Six weeks later, it is revealed that sales are up 12%.
- Desi has stopped giving out free shots.
- Desi Romano’s is open.
|Mon||11:00 AM – 2:00 AM (Next day)|
|Tue||11:00 AM – 2:00 AM (Next day)|
|Wed||11:00 AM – 2:00 AM (Next day)|
|Thu||11:00 AM – 2:00 AM (Next day)|
|Fri||11:00 AM – 2:00 AM (Next day)|
|Sat||11:00 AM – 2:00 AM (Next day)|
|Sun||11:00 AM – 2:00 AM (Next day)|
- Reviews after the show are mostly positive with compliments to the food, drinks and service.
News & Update on Desi Romano’s Sports Bar and Grill
Jon Taffer’s decision to leave Desi Romano’s name unchanged has led to mixed reviews. Some customers are satisfied with the renovations, while others say they miss how things used to be. Desi Romano’s had positive reviews for the bar on all review sites before Bar Rescue came, so perhaps they weren’t struggling too much. Also, people have commented that Desiderio was doing just fine with no help from Bar Rescue and didn’t need a makeover at all!