On tonight’s episode of Bar Rescue, Jon Taffer and crew are in Denham Springs, LA, to rescue Big Mike’s Sports Bar & Grill. This episode is different, as Bar Rescue isn’t there because of the bar failing. They are here to help Big Mike rebuild his bar after it was flooded. August 2016 storm dumped three times as much rain on Louisiana as Hurricane Katrina. Thousands of homes and businesses were submerged, and the bar was one of the hardest hit. Bar Rescue makes a special trip to help save the bar.
Is Big Mike’s Sports Bar and Grill still open?
Yes, it’s “Open”
- Episode Title: “Bar Over Troubled Water”
- Episode No.: Season5 Episode 19 (Season 5 2nd Set Episode 5)
- Episode Air Date: March 26, 2017
- Episode Was Filmed: October 2016
- The Bar’s Original Name Was: Big Mike’s Sports Bar and Grill
- The Bar’s New Name: Big Mike’s Sports Bar and Grill
- Big Mike’s Sports Bar and Grill Address: 123 Aspen Square, Denham Springs, LA 70726, United States
If you’re reading this, then I succeeded! Keep reading see what happens to Big Mike’s Sports Bar and Grill.
Big Mike’s Sports Bar and Grill is owned by Mike O’Neal. The bar was devastated by a flood in 2016. They need about $500,000 to repair the bar and their flood insurance is still months away. For the time they are closed, they stand to lose over $1m of business. The stress test is replaced by a production and efficiency exercise for the Bar Rescue team.
They are using two entrees from their old menu and given seven and a half minutes to fulfil food orders. The staff are nervous and they all start rusty and drinks are quickly dumped. Food orders are placed but are not entered in so tickets are not sent to the kitchen in time. The drinks are taking one minute and fifteen seconds to be made. The food is ready on time and is good.
On the site, Aaron and Rob are training the kitchen staff on how to make a signature pizza. Within eight hours, they could complete it all and that night the staff gathered for the revelation. Jon plays a video message from the bar he rescued from Hurricane Sandy, The Bungalow Bar. The message is uplifting and tells them it will get better and they can come back.
The Baton Rouge Foundation and Crown Royal Foundation also donated a cheque of $10,000 to other families affected by the flooding. A lot of community leaders are there for the relaunch, including the Lieutenant Governor of the state, the Mayor and the Parish President.
On relaunch, the staff get straight to work and they serve drinks confidently. The pizzas are the bestseller of the evening. The kitchen gets slammed but churn it out quickly and it is excellent quality. Jon commends Emily, who put in the call to Bar Rescue. He says his goodbyes to Mike.
Recent Customer Reviews after the Bar Rescue Episode:
Big Mike’s Sports Bar and Grill Google Review
- “Staff is friendly and personable. We had a big group, so we ordered several appetizers that were delicious. We had string fries, fried mushrooms, onion rings, and boudin balls.”
- “This place has awesome food and its family friendly. The staff goes above and beyond. Its very clean will definitely go back.”
- “Honestly wasn’t great. My fries were all very undercooked, and our potato bite appetizer was still frozen. Staff seemed to not be really concerned. It gets a lot of hype because John Taffer has been there, but would not recommend at all.”
Google Ratings 4.4/5
Big Mike’s Sports Bar and Grill Yelp Review
- “We had seen the bar rescue that was here and decided to stop while on vacation. Food was great, service was great and prices were reasonable. Plus we got to meet big mike!”
- “Very comfortable restaurant and bar with super food! What more could a person ask for? I have visited four times so far and each time was wowed by the food flavor, quantity,quality and service! Everything is very clean. We have dined in the bar and in the restaurant.”
- “First time here, and sadly won’t be back. Very poor service, and food was mediocre at best. Denham Dip sandwich was plain nasty. It was dry, and the meat was like warm and chewy. The brown gravy was from a can and just not even appetizing. We made a comment about the lousy service we received, and were told they were short handed. That isn’t a patrons issue. Rudeness is never tolerated.”
- “Got a bbq chicken pizza. Horrible. Generic. Chicken not even cooked. I got it carry out. Bar maid who served me didn’t even say thank you. Normally not a bad place but this pizza was terrible”
Yelp Ratings 3.5/5
My Review on Big Mike’s Sports Bar and Grill 🤔
Fried ribs. 1st time having these. Very tender and delicious. Not spicy but good and different for me.
What Happened Next at Big Mike’s Sports Bar and Grill
- Jon Taffer kept the name Big Mike’s Sports Bar and Grill.
- One week after the flood, it is revealed that bar has done way better than expected. Sales are up 50% from before the disaster!
- They are planning a fundraiser to support flood victims in their community.
- Big Mike’s Sports Bar and Grill is open! The reviews are mostly positive, with praise for both the food as well as drinks.